Germaine Austin is an associate attorney at Hawkins Parnell & Young, LLP, focusing on business litigation, transactional law and corporate law. He serves as counsel to public and private companies advising on commercial matters, including corporate governance, employee benefits, executive compensation, and mergers and acquisitions. Germaine drafts and negotiates contracts, commercial and corporate agreements, and equity incentive plans. He also assists in asset and stock purchase transactions.
Germaine represents clients in federal and state courts and before regulatory agencies, including the United States Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service. He counsels employers regarding corporate duties, taxation and fiduciary obligations, under various statutes, codes and acts, such as the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). He also facilitates the design, implementation, and administration of employee benefit plans, including employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), 401(k) plans, and profit-sharing plans.
Germaine began his career in the U.S. Army as a Human Resource Sergeant for more than eight years. He gained valuable experience serving clients and his community, protecting assets, and leveraging relationships to achieve results. This continued during his matriculation at North Carolina Central University School of Law where he obtained his Juris Doctor (J.D.) and Masters of Business Administration (M.B.A.).
While at North Carolina Central University School of Law, he served as a consultant with the U.S. Small Business Administration. He evaluated company policies, and financial and equity statements, to draft strategic and operational plans to help small businesses exceed financial and operational goals.
- Chinese (limited working proficiency)
- German (elementary proficiency)
- Spanish (limited working proficiency)
- LEAD Atlanta 2018
- State Bar of Georgia
- Co-Chair, Pro Bono Committee
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Gate City Bar Association
- Multi-Bar Leadership Council Representative
- National Black MBA Association
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (GDLA)
- Ambassador for Southern Center for Human Rights
- Co-Chair for Non-Partisan Election Protection Initiative, Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law
- Attorney Advisor for Law Students Coalition for Civil Rights
- State Bar of Georgia Leadership Academy 2017
- Army Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
- Oliver Hill Social Action Award
- Rodney Pulliam Community Activist Award
- “How To Preserve Privilege and Maintain Confidentiality During Internal and Government Investigations,” Georgia Association of Paralegals (January 29, 2015)